Friday, August 5, 2011

Temp

So, yesterday marked my first day of temping in Los Angeles which, surprisingly, was a whole lot easier than it used to be back in Virginia. I got on the bus around 7:30 and rode for about an hour out to Santa Monica, right to the ocean front. The company I worked for was called Premier Sports Entertainment, and they represent some pretty big names. In fact, I could actually give you Kim Kardashian's email address if I felt so inclined. The day went by really, really slowly. I got maybe 15 calls between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, which, if you're as seasoned a receptionist as the rest of us, you know that that's child's play. I mostly just sat and read Tina Fey's book and spent some time searching random sites. My big thing right now is memorizing Los Angeles' streets so I'm not always going to Google maps. (Again, plug for Google maps.) I went for a short walk along the beach around lunch time, but that was about it. By the time I got home I couldn't believe how exhausted I was for only sitting all day. I fell asleep around 7:30 pm, woke up around 8:30 pm, wrote for a couple of hours and then went to bed again around 1:00 am.
OH! I forgot to mention the biggest piece of news for the day--I talking to Laila Ali (TV personality, female boxer, daughter of Muhammad Ali) on the phone! She called asking for her agent, and like a friggin pro I directed that call. Anyway...

I JUST TALKED TO LAILA ALI AGAIN. AS I WAS WRITING THIS SHE CALLED, AND AGAIN I DIRECTED HER CALL! WHAT ARE THE ODDS!?

Anyway...today's been the same deal. The office has been dead all day, except I have an essay I'm working on to keep me busy. It's actually the most fun I've had writing something in a long time. It still needs some work, but I'm pretty proud of it as is. With all this time on my hands NOT answering phones, I've decided to start beefing up my portfolio and coming up with some writing samples. It's my homework assignment to myself. My goal is to start have a screenplay, a short story (that I've been working on for about a month now, but haven't finished), an essay (maybe this one), and some poems done by the end of the year.

Other goals:

-Get a place of my own to live in. I love Leanne, but I also like non-suitcased living.
-Start applying for internships. I love being a receptionist, but I also like non-stupid living.
-Run Runyon Canyon. This one's gonna be a b***h.




No comments: