Sunday, August 21, 2011

50% Home

Quick summary of the past few days:

-LA GALAXY GAME LAST NIGHT! I got to see Landon Donovan, David Beckham, Clint Mathis, and ROBBIE FRIGGIN KEANE IN HIS AMERICAN DEBUT last night with Caleb, then we went to get Kogi afterward, which may have been better than the game itself. It was such a good night, even after Caleb was 1 hr 45 min late (cough, cough). It's been four years since I've gotten to see a pro game. It was totally worth it, especially since the tickets were free.
-I think I mentioned my interview with Vendome pictures? Maybe not? Anyway, it went really well. I would LOVE to work there, especially since it's located on Wilshire Blvd, which is quickly becoming my favorite street.
-Barefoot Blue Jean Night on Friday night. Leanne decided to have a Southern night at her place, complete with pulled pork, green beans, corn on the cob, cornbread, banana pudding, and baked beans. It was actually a lot of fun. I got to see Chloe West, whom I went to high school with; it was so bizarre. It was a good night though-lots of catching up with people...and not going to bed until 4 am.
-I am officially a member of the Glendale 7th Ward.

So, the real point of this post is something that I've been thinking of a lot lately. I've been asking myself how much I really want to stay in California, whether staying here is what I'm meant to be doing or just what I want to be doing. This debate came to a head after a particularly long day when nothing (at all) seemed to be going right, and I had no idea how I was going to wake up the next day and do it all over again. I was exhausted, I didn't have anyone to turn to who I felt would really understand how I was feeling, I felt like things should have been going more smoothly if this is what I was meant to be doing, etc. All of this has been the focus of my prayers for a while now, and while I was sitting down in sacrament meeting today, I think I got my answer(s). A man gave a talk (I think he was from the high council? I'm a terrible person), and I swear every other word out of his mouth was something about perseverance. By the end of his talk when he quoted Winston Churchill's famous "Never, never, never, never, never give up" I was literally sitting in my seat thinking, "Alright, I get it!" It was exactly the talk I needed to hear. Basically, the point of it was that experience is priceless. As long as you keep your head on straight, experience can only serve to make you a better person. SO, as long as I can keep my head on straight and have fun with everything that's going on, all of this will make me appreciate Los Angeles a whole lot more once I get it all figured out.
While living here is exhausting, especially without a car and a steady job, it's one of the coolest experiences I could ask for. I'm 21 years old, living in Los Angeles, no one depending on me for anything, relying on myself and no one else. Who gets a chance to live like this? I love it.


That's all I got.

No comments: