Thursday, May 6, 2010

Euro-trash

So every semester, I feel like there's one class that doesn't mesh well with the others, the class that you don't like going to, that makes you feel like throwing up every single time the thought of that class enters your mind. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

This semester it's Modern European History. I thought I was going to enjoy the class when I first signed up for it. It fulfills the history requirement for my Poli Sci minor, and my family's planning on going to Europe at the end of the Summer, so I figured it would all fit. But, I'm starting to regret it. It's not that the class is awful, it's just that it has no structure- and I don't like the final project. That, and it's at a time of the day when I would much rather be working or doing homework.

BUT- I just looked up the academic schedule, and the last day to drop classes without receiving a 'W' was yesterday... Let the character building commence.

In other news, all the other classes are going really well. They're all pretty chill, with the exception of Advanced International Relations, which has a lot of social capital involved. It's hard to get a word in sometimes, but at least it's interesting, and Brother Adamson is the man.

ALSO, it's snowing. It's May 6th, 2010, and it's snowing.

ALSO, ALSO, I should probably recap the weekend. Friday night I went to Idaho Falls with Scotty, Russell, and Ryan to a place called the Snakebite. SO GOOD. It's a sort of hole in the wall type of place with a really tight atmosphere. It's super small with only a few waiters, and some f the best food I've had for a while. Anyways, I highly recommend it.
Saturday morning (I'm talking 3 am) I made the trek to Salt Lake to meet Dad for his birthday. I got there around 8, and slept in until around 11, then Dad and I woke up and we went out to lunch at Marie Callendars. We talked for somewhere around 2 hours. It was so nice just to sit and talk with him without any interferences or distractions. I forgot how much I missed him. Afterwards we went to the Gateway to pick up some shoes for church the next day, and then to Barnes and Noble. I got a new book of memoirs, and he picked up some Sudoku for the plane. That night the whole family got together for Dad's birthday- it was really nice to see everyone again (at least everyone that showed up. cough, cough...) We chilled out and talked over pizza, played with LOUIE VITO'S DOG! Anyways, the next morning, Dad and I woke up too late for church, so we stayed home and watched Master and Commander, then we had Dad's birthday dinner and I left for Rexburg again...which wouldn't be a huge deal if my shuttle home wasn't taken over by a girl who decided to make herself the ring-leader of the 11 GIRLS who were on the shuttle with me. For 4 hours, all I heard was her trying to one-up people. It was entertaining, but incredibly annoying. And now, I'm back at school, not ready at all for classes.

And I'm spent.


Quote of the Day:

"Think constantly, both as Roman and as a man, to do the task before you with perfect and simple dignity, and with kindness, freedom, and justice. Try to forget everything else. And you will be able to do so if you undetake every action in your life as if it were your last, leaving aside all negligence and the opposition of passion to the dictates of reason, and leaving aside all hypocrisy, egotism, and rebelliousness against your own lot." -Marcus Aurelius

"Think constantly, both as Roman and as a man, to do the task before you with perfect and simple dignity, and with kindness, freedom, and justice. Try to forget everything else. And you will be able to do so if you undetake every action in your life as if it were your last, leaving aside all negligence and the opposition of passion to the dictates of reason, and leaving aside all hypocrisy, egotism, and rebelliousness against your own lot."

The man may have persecuted thousands of Christians, but he knew his stuff.

No comments: