Monday, April 20, 2009

Brand Spankin New

The semester has officially started. I've moved in, met my roommates (whom I already love), went to church for the first time, and went to my first class today. This whole weekend has been so good! It was just one of those weekends where everything went right. I got to see old friends, make new friends, watched some people trip on skateboards...
As I was walking around this weekend I realized how different I feel in Rexburg as opposed to Virginia. It's weird, but here I feel more confident, like I know what my purpose is and I'm going for it. In Fairfax it's easy to get lost in 'who does what' and 'who knows who' but here it's so chill. I feel like I've made a niche for myself here and I don't really have to conform to what anyone else wants of me (except for professors, and that little Honor Code thing).
Beginning classes has also made me take a step back from everything and try to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I think it all started when Dad came home, and again this morning while Obama was talking to the members of the CIA. Originally that was my ultimate career goal in life, besides moving to Hollywood and becoming famous. I wanted the stereotypical James Bond career as a clandestine agent in the CIA, but the more I think about it the more I realize that sort of dream isn't really conducive to a lot of other dreams I have. My first priority in life is to get married and have a family, and not just because it's what we're all 'supposed' to do, but because I've seen how much influence you can have in raising a family. It's the most awesome responsibility anyone could ever take on, and I want to be a part of that. But that doesn't really fit into the lifestyle I thought I wanted.
So now I'm re-evaluating everything. I'm still a Political Science major, and I'm pretty sure it's the field I want to go into, but I'm not sure I'll end up quite where I thought I would. I've been thinking more of working for the state department-- just moving away to some embassy and working there, or something like that. I've also been thinking, just a little bit, about teaching. I've always liked the idea of teaching. I've had a lot of teachers that I could definitely say have changed my life in some way. To be that one teacher for a kid would be pretty cool. But it's still just a thought for now.
Anyways, that's about all I got for now. Back to homework :)

Quote of the Day: "Don't mess with me! I killed my lover!...in battle!" (skies away) - Caitie Metts, the love of my life.

No comments: