Monday, April 13, 2009

April 13th, 2009

CASE OF THE MONDAYS

So I've had this blog for a while, hoping I'd wise up and start using it as a journal. Anyways, it's about that time. So here goes...

Dad just left for the airport after his two week leave. It's the day I've kind of been dreading for a while. It's been awesome having him home for two weeks-just knowing he's safe, with people who care about him, away from stupid people and stupid accusations (more on that later). But more than that, it's the last time I'll be able to see him until December. It's so surreal to think about it. By the time I see him again I'll be a junior in college, Isaac will have graduated, played a full football season at Marist, and put his mission papers in, Lark will be in high school, and Mary Alice will have started junior high. He'll basically be coming home to a completely different household.

Anyways, having Dad home has made me realize just how much my family means to me. As soon as he walked in the door it was like he never left. We went right back into the routine as a family, all the way down to Dad blowing spitballs during dinner. I've learned SO much in just the past two weeks, and had so many great times with the people I care about most, that it's hard to see it end. I also wish the last image my Dad had of me wasn't just waking up, with my sweats on, Broomhilda hair, no makeup, with acne medicine all over my puffy face...preparation pays off. At the same time I wish every day with my dad could be like the 'last day,' when it's really clear how much I love and appreciate him. Those of you who've known me long enough know that my relationship with my dad is sort of rocky. There aren't any bad feelings between us or anything like that, but we've had a long history of blowing up at each other. Sometimes it's incredibly hard to see him for everything he is. But at the end of the day (or at the beginning?) he loves me no matter how Viking-ish I look, or how insane I am (P.S. my last words to him were rambling on about my dream where I was sleep-walking in Giant, and accidentally bought a $539 Braves baseball cap, 4 spray bottles full of Diet Rite, 'Caddyshack,' and 13 toy Fireman's hoses. All I remember him saying was 'That's my girl, always thinking ahead.')

On the bright side, I'm so excited to get back to school. This break has felt so long and drawn-out. I just want to get back into a routine, with classes, and stress, and friends, and teachers, and the library. It's so strange thinking back to my first couple of days at college. Driving thru the town for the first time I literally started tearing up. I never ever thought I would grow to like it. Now I can't imagine going anywhere else. When I found out I got accepted as a transfer into Provo, which has been my goal ever since I was a little kid, I wasn't the least bit excited. Rexburg really has become like my home. Scratch that- it'll be home once they take away two of the THREE Subways, and put in a Target. And, people have to start handing out candy on Halloween... Halloween in Rexburg is completely unacceptable. I could also do without wind- like a really big wall to block the 80 mph gusts of wind would be awesome. Also, teased hair...and a good Chinese food restaurant. Minus those things- I love it.

So to sum up- I love my dad! So much! I hate watching him leave again. But I'm so proud of everything he's done while he's been in Iraq. He's given up so much for my family and for this country in general. I'm really grateful to be his daughter.

QUOTE OF THE DAY-
"Whenever I see cheesecake I want to eat it. And when I say 'eat it,' I mean swim in it. Swim in it all day long...with graham cracker floaties." -Mary Alice

No comments: